When a lady acquires her first Hermes Birkin it becomes the highlight of her bag collection… “My own Fashion Highlight & Special Fashion Moment”… I don’t know about you ladies, but for me I was the happiest when I acquired the first… The others could never give me the same joy and fulfillment as my first love lol???? #TheStoryOfMyFirstBirkin
Please login first to submit.
Love these stories! I too, will always love my first B the most and will never part with it.. In fact I think it’s the same as yours UyandaM! Black 35cm Togo B with GHW. So very classic!
My first B journey is quite a story too.. I’ve wanted one since I first came across a picture of and the story behind the lure of Birkins.. And I began my search on my honeymoon 4 years ago. It was the time when I became financially able to afford one! At this time I knew absolutely nothing about the Hermes brand except the B. I wasn’t interested in buying anything else nor could I really afford anything else, I had saved just enough money for a B! This of course made the journey pretty difficult, I had no proper knowledge of the avenues to buying one but it was memorable. My DH and I went on a 4 week honeymoon through Europe and in between sight seeing, we hit every Hermes store in every city.. I think it was around 10-15 stores in all. Needless to say, I didn’t get lucky! Not even at FSH. It was then that I realized how truly difficult it is… I returned home defeated and broken hearted. (Although I did some pretty mean pity shopping through Europe in lieu of the B)
Upon returning home, I chanced a trip to my local store for fun, hoping to get insight into how I would build a relationship to purchase one. That day I met a wonderful SA who took the time to share her knowledge about the bag itself and the leathers etc.. She could tell I had researched but was new to the brand itself. After spending time talking H and B’s with me, she told me she could take my details down and put in a ‘request’ for a B. Now I had heard this happens sometimes and a lot of the time, they pretty much throw the piece of paper away etc. But why not take a chance! It turns out that at that point (4 years ago) my local boutique still had a real wait list! Nonetheless, I knew it was a long shot and placed that thought up on a shelf.
I then began to fall in love with the Hermes brand more and while travelling began to love and collect bracelets, belts, scarves and small items, but was never successful in being offered a bag.
Fast forward 3 years. I had moved overseas and was quite heavily pregnant with my first baby when my best friend called me to let me know ‘someone from somewhere called Hermes just called me to let me know something called a birkin is in for you’. Umm, I almost gave birth right then! I had totally forgotten about being put on the wait list 3 years ago! After explaining to my best friend what a Birkin was, she rushed over the store the next day and picked it up for me while facetiming me so I could experience it haha! Luckily I also had a friend coming to visit the next month so she generously carried it onto a 9hr flight and delivered it to me.
It was so joyous! I had always been determined to purchase my first Birkin, at least, from the store. I just thought it was part of the experience and also couldn’t justify the reseller prices when I had saved so hard and squirreled away money for my first b. And the price had already gone up 30% while I was on the wait list for 3 years!
And of course, the Hermes experience being fickle and funny like it is, I waited 3 years for my first B and was offered my second while travelling just 8 months later ?. I think my daughter brought me H luck. I’ve had quite a bit of it since falling pregnant with her! Thanks for letting me share my story xx
- Love your story?
- I love this story, thank you so much for sharing <3
- You must login to post comments
I will always remember my first Birkin (I chronicled it here at my blog, http://www.larkieatlarge.com/2012/12/road-to-adoption-part-2) but it was absolutely the wrong size. She’s no longer with me but the memory of the hunt will always be one of my favorite shopping adventures 🙂
- Hello dear larkie! I am sooooo excited to see you here at BopTalk ?. Welcome my friend. I must share that your blog was one of the very few I ever really read before I began mine in March 2012. You are an inspiration to me! I just re-read your story so beautifully chronicled and hope that everyone else does too ?. I didn’t realize your first B was just 2012. just a few months before mine in Jan 2013. But since, your collection has grown to include MAGNIFICENT pieces. I hope to have a collection as impressive as yours some day my beautiful friend and fellow blogger. Warm Welcome Hugs ❤️ One of these days you and I are destined to meet…
- my sweet PB, i can’t wait till we finally meet up one day, though i already feel like we are long lost sisters :D!! Keep up the fantastic work at your blog!
- I love your story?
- thank you, @UyandaM :))
- You must login to post comments
I love this thread! It’s an obsession that only handbag enthusiasts could appreciate!! I spent years chasing a Birkin- it proved virtually impossible to get one from the Boutique in my city, despite trying all the tricks. In the end I went with a reputable reseller who was able to get me exactly what I wanted (with patience!). She is my only B (for now!) and I still find myself in awe of this bag!! I love how it makes me feel when I carry it! ?☺️ I am still trying to get my next B fresh from the Boutique! I haven’t given up hope yet!
- Love your story? @ luxe_lover
Thank you so much UyandaM ☺️?
- I’m glad you haven’t given up hope luxe_lover!! H is so much about luck and timing sometimes! What are the specs of your first B?
You are so right! @leorangebliss!! My B is a black, 35, Ardennes leather with gold hardware. Even though this leather is no longer used by H, I researched it like crazy and searched for it. This B came to me in excellent condition. The lady who previously owned it rarely used it and took great care of her! I want to get the leather conditioned and took her to the H boutique for advice and the staff couldn’t believe how perfect she was for her age! I am sending the bag for a spa in a couple of months when my baby is due. They told me she would be away for about 4 months at the spa, so I will miss her less when I have a newborn taking up my time and excitement! ???
- You must login to post comments
My story of my first Birkin is probably a little different to everybody elses. One day I decided I wanted one, so I went into my local store with no knowledge of the brand and no previous buying history and simply asked for one. Imagine my surprise when they rang me the very next day and said they had one for me. I went in to have a look at this handbag that was supposedly the most difficult to get in the world. It was 40 centimetres and light blue/green in color (I’m still unsure as to which color it actually was). I thought it looked all wrong. I’d never seen one in real life before and as it was closed and locked, it didn’t look like any of the bags I’d seen celebrities carrying in magazines as they always have theirs open. I also thought it looked big enough to be a suitcase. So I politely said no thanks, went home and had a sleepless night and went back into buy it the next day, and of course, it was gone. Over the next three months, my husband and I tried everything we could think of to try and get one. We rang my brother in laws girlfriend who works for Vogue in Dubai, we asked my husbands casino host, we asked a friend who is always buying gifts for his harem of girlfriends. No luck anywhere. Finally we rang Hermes in Paris who said something could be arranged… were we willing to fly to Paris? Just when total frustration was setting in, our local store rang back and said they had a 35 centimetre Birkin Bleu de Galice in Togo. I rushed to the store mid gym session looking like a hot mess and couldn’t hand over my credit card fast enough. Today I still think she is a little too big for me, and not my preferred leather, but I will always remember the thrill of the chase in getting her home to me!
- absolutely love your story ❤️ and you know, how you felt about the B looking so different than what we had visualized holds so true for me too :) I used to think they look like glorified brief cases ? and thus fell really hard for Chanel early on in my ‘bag collecting’ career. I wish I had kept an open mind and diversified earlier, LOL. Now there is literally”NOT” a color that I wouldn’t love in what I thought was a “glorified brief case!”
- Lovely story. Your local store sounds amazing and I think with H, it all comes down to luck and timing. And in the process we also learn more about hermes (not just the bags) and come to love it even more. And of course we are taught patience too. Hehe.
- I love this!!! Thank yo for sharing your story Stylish Sheba! I agree I think a 40 would have been too big, even a 35 is too big (for me)… have you acquired other Bs since then? And what is your preferred leather?
- Love your story StylishSheba! even though you first regreted not taking the first B you came across, I think you did well, afterall, if you think your 35 is a bit big for you, just imagine what you would think of a 40 hahaha
- luxe_lover, thank you I agree, you can never replace the excitement of bringing home your first Birkin. UyandaM this was such a great idea for a thread. Pursebop, that is hilarious that you thought of the Birkin as a glorified briefcase, and look at you now, you’re a first rate collector. It is just a little tough that you have to pay $11k to actually take one home and work out which leather and size works for you.. and that you do actually love it. favloves, my local store has been quite good to me, although you always want more than what they will offer you, so you always end up being a little unsatisfied! LeOrangeBliss, I have acquired a Birkin 30 and a Kelly 32 both in Epsom and although I seem to be in the minority, this is my favourite leather, I love the structure. What is your preferred leather? PatiEv, that is so true, imagine me with a 40, I could only have used it as my carry on bag when I was travelling!
I couldn’t agree more with UyandaM when I was ready to purchase my first Birkin I was so excited , I couldn’t sleep , and when I finally hold that bag in my hands, I can’t even describe the feeling ,it was just magical moment , it was a very special bag to me , and it’s still is probably my favorite today . My First Birkin was Geranium Red 35cm with GHW . Here is couple of photos of my first a baby B and my other furry baby Maltese Csesar guarding it for me ??. What was your first Hermes Bag? #TheStoryOfMyFirstBirkin
- This is such a beautiful story????✨ I love it?
- Beautiful b and I just love the pic of your baby guarding it. Just adorable
- Your first B is simply breathtaking and reminds me very much of mine (Capucine)… love love love!!! And your baby is adorable <3
- what a GORGEOUS B Yanina!!! and I just can´t get enough of Caeser, he´s too precious!!!
I love this thread UyandaM ? I couldn’t agree with you more! The first holds a special place in our ‘bag hearts”, LOL Thank you for posting and sharing… I can’t wait to see all the firsts ?
Here’s mine: Super Bag XLVIII: Reveal story here… http://www.pursebop.com/super-bag-xlviii/
I even made a video for my first Birkin that I’ll share here ?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA2FR50zVU4
(talk about first loves, LOL)
- The Vitamin C, I call it???❤️❤️❤️❤️?✨… Love your story honey???????
- the CLASSIC! couldn’t have picked a better first!
- love this bag!!!!
- Thank you my beautiful Boppers, excited to share an upcoming treasure ?
Love the snow! Makes the story a little more romantic and magical ☺️