Part I: Official Size Comparison: Birkin 25 vs. Birkin 30
This is Part II of a four-part series on Birkin and Kelly sizes
Let’s recap: As a newbie navigating my way through unknown, uncharted, winding roads of the elusive and complex world of Hermès, I have made many bag size mistakes. After considerable hits and misses, I am finally at a point where I feel like I know what works for me in terms of bag styles and sizes. And I thought I would share my experience with people who are starting their H journey. I am in no way an expert, but here are some snippets from my humble experience that I hope you find useful.
Today, we’re going to compare the Kelly 25 (25 cm x 19 cm x 9 cm) vs. Kelly 28 (28 cm x 22 cm x 10 cm), both Retournes.
Pros of the Kelly 25
- For a tiny bag it can sure pack a punch! A god send for people like me who carry little, it can still hold all the essentials with room for more
- Can easily transition from a day to night bag
- Can be used for formal occasions
- Small enough not to bang into other things
- The handle drop is absolutely perfect!
- Can easily slide through the arms despite being a mini bag or can be held using the shoulder strap
- Small enough to go crossbody for a casual look
- It’s a small bag so holding its shape is not an issue
Cons of the Kelly 25
- It’s a mini bag so unless you carry very little and love the look of a mini bag this isn’t the bag for you
- Looks super cute, so if that’s not a look you are after this may not be the size to add
Pros of the Kelly 28
- It holds tons if you carry a lot of stuff in your bags
- The dimensions of the bag make it proportionately appropriate for most of us
- It’s the perfect medium-sized bag that sits prettily between big bags like K32 and mini ones like K25—so best of both the worlds!
- Can be held by its handles or carried on the shoulder using the shoulder strap
Cons of the Kelly 28
- For people who don’t carry much, this is still too big of a bag where your things can swim inside
- Big enough to still bang against things and get corner wear more quickly than a K25
- Harder to maintain its shape in a Retourne
- More of a day bag
- Too big to be carried cross body
@el4bz’s Final Choice
It has to be a Kelly 25! Perfect size and perfect proportions. A K25 wins in terms of its versatility—of how (hand held, on the shoulders, crossbody), when (day, evening, night) and where it can be carried (formal events, informal outings, running errands).
Are you a B25 or B30 kind of gal? Stay tuned for Parts 3 and 4 of @e14bz‘s Hermès size comparison series!
Read related articles:
Official Size Comparison: Birkin 25 vs. Birkin 30
The Kelly: The Hermès Underdog?
The Hermès Kelly, Revisited
Hermes Bag Size Encyclopedia