Part I: Official Size Comparison: Birkin 25 vs. Birkin 30
This is Part II of a four-part series on Birkin and Kelly sizes
Let’s recap: As a newbie navigating my way through unknown, uncharted, winding roads of the elusive and complex world of Hermès, I have made many bag size mistakes. After considerable hits and misses, I am finally at a point where I feel like I know what works for me in terms of bag styles and sizes. And I thought I would share my experience with people who are starting their H journey. I am in no way an expert, but here are some snippets from my humble experience that I hope you find useful.
Today, we’re going to compare the Kelly 25 (25 cm x 19 cm x 9 cm) vs. Kelly 28 (28 cm x 22 cm x 10 cm), both Retournes.
Pros of the Kelly 25
- For a tiny bag it can sure pack a punch! A god send for people like me who carry little, it can still hold all the essentials with room for more
- Can easily transition from a day to night bag
- Can be used for formal occasions
- Small enough not to bang into other things
- The handle drop is absolutely perfect!
- Can easily slide through the arms despite being a mini bag or can be held using the shoulder strap
- Small enough to go crossbody for a casual look
- It’s a small bag so holding its shape is not an issue
Cons of the Kelly 25
- It’s a mini bag so unless you carry very little and love the look of a mini bag this isn’t the bag for you
- Looks super cute, so if that’s not a look you are after this may not be the size to add
Pros of the Kelly 28
- It holds tons if you carry a lot of stuff in your bags
- The dimensions of the bag make it proportionately appropriate for most of us
- It’s the perfect medium-sized bag that sits prettily between big bags like K32 and mini ones like K25—so best of both the worlds!
- Can be held by its handles or carried on the shoulder using the shoulder strap
Cons of the Kelly 28
- For people who don’t carry much, this is still too big of a bag where your things can swim inside
- Big enough to still bang against things and get corner wear more quickly than a K25
- Harder to maintain its shape in a Retourne
- More of a day bag
- Too big to be carried cross body
@el4bz’s Final Choice
It has to be a Kelly 25! Perfect size and perfect proportions. A K25 wins in terms of its versatility—of how (hand held, on the shoulders, crossbody), when (day, evening, night) and where it can be carried (formal events, informal outings, running errands).