Mini bags. They simply aren’t going away (and we can’t say we’re mad about that). Over the past decade, the mini trend has gained momentum, and while it’s slowed down in the past couple of years (read: Don’t Get Rid of Your Larger Bags Just Yet!), minis remain at the top of the totem pole of popularity. The most desirable Hermès bags, as you might expect, are still mini Bs and Ks. But let’s not forget Chanel. Chanel has an entire mini world of its own, led by the mini Classic Flaps.
The Chanel minis are absolutely adorable, and they’re some of PurseBop’s favorite bags. It’s obvious that they’re “cute” and “small,” but there’s a lot more to know about them to become entirely Chanel–mini literate. But don’t worry, PurseBop’s got you covered. We’ve compiled a little guide here for you on all things Chanel Mini. Enjoy!
What to expect in this reference guide:
- Mini Classic Flap Features
- Mini Classic Flap Sizes
- Photo Size Comparison
- Mini Classic Flap Prices
- Pros + Cons of Each Mini Bag
- Instagram Eye Candy
First things first: is the mini truly a scaled-down version of the Classic Flap? The short answer is yes. On the whole, the mini Classic Flap follows the structure of the Classic Flap, with just slightly different proportions, as you’ll see below. You can expect:
- Availability in a wide variety of materials, including lambskin and tweed
- Chain leather strap
- CC turnlock clasp
- Inner zip pocket
- Back outer pouch
Now let’s get down to the “mini” business. Which Classic Flaps are considered minis, and how mini is “mini” anyway? Is a mini that much smaller than a small Classic Flap? Specific dimensions (and photo comparisons) are in order.
|Size||Dimensions (L x H x W in)|
|Classic Flap Maxi||13.4 x 9.1 x 3.9 in|
|Classic Flap Jumbo||11.8 x 7.9 x 3.9 in|
|Classic Flap Medium||10.1 x 6.2 x 2.7 in|
|Classic Flap Small||9 x 5.7 x 2.3 in|
|Classic Flap Mini (Rectangle)||7.8 x 4.7 x 2.3 in|
|Classic Flap Mini (Square)||6.6 x 5.3 x 3.1 in|
|Classic Flap Extra Mini||6.7 x 3.8 x 3 in|
Photos from PurseBop’s Size Comparison with Models
Even with the recent Chanel price hikes (read: Chanel Prices Are On The Rise Again), mini prices are considerably more affordable than those of the larger Classic Flap, which range in price from $5,000 to $6,700. Note that there is currently no information on the Extra Mini, which has been discontinued. The last price at which it was listed, a few years ago, was $2,400.
*All prices listed in lambskin
|Classic Flap Mini (Rectangle)||$3,500|
|Classic Flap Mini (Square)||$3,200|
|Classic Flap Extra Mini||N/A|
Pros + Cons
As with all mini bags, the three Chanel Classic Flap minis have their respective pros and cons. Here are our personal notes on this matter.
- Incredibly popular
- Some of the cutest bags on the market (though this is subjective!)
- Much more accessible in terms of price, making them a great entry into the world of luxury handbag collecting
- Great to buy in a pattern, bright color, or exotic leather as the small surface won’t overwhelm your outfit
- Can be worn crossbody on many body types
- Easily transitions from day to night; perfect for formal occasions
- The square mini in particular is unique
- Incredibly popular (a con, for some)
- Limited space, especially in the extra mini, which can barely fit an iPhone let alone other essentials
- The square mini can sometimes sit awkwardly crossbody
Did we miss any pros/cons you would include?
Instagram Eye Candy
Are you feeling the mini fever? Has all this mini talk inspired you to consider adding a Chanel mini (or perhaps *another* Chanel mini) to your handbag closet…? All we can say is that PurseBop is certainly caught up in the mini craze. As for the rest? Our lips are sealed, at least for now.
Read related articles: