The Goyard Saint Louis Tote has been on my shopping list for some time. I purchased one for my sister back in May from Barney’s, but could not come to a decision as to the best size for my personal needs. My sister shared with me how much she enjoyed her PM that adding one to my collection was soon inevitable. The only lingering questions were what size and what color to buy? It was in Paris with the girls when I finally made my decision.
Let’s talk about the sizes of the legendary tote. There is a GM and a PM. In my mind they each have distinctly different purposes.
The Saint Louis is the quintessential “hold everything” tote. It has almost no structure, but its basic silhouette and overall lightness makes it extremely versatile. The canvas material, composed from cotton, hemp, and linen, is waterproof and easily cleaned adding to its durability.
Goyard Saint Louis GM Best Uses:
- Travel Bag: It can easily store a laptop, another bag and accessories, or clothing items.
- Beach Bag: The waterproof material makes the Saint Louis perfect for a beach or pool setting. It can easily fit towels, sandals, and outdoor products.
Goyard Saint Louis PM Best Uses:
- Everyday Bag: It can easily store a wallet, makeup bags, sunglasses, and keys with a little extra wiggle room.
- Errand Bag: It can easily hold loose papers or a small notebook along with other daily essentials when you’re on the run.
Purchasing my tote from the Goyard mothership made for another extra special shopping memory in Paris. Follow #pursebopgoestoPARIS on IG.
Not to mention the savings buying it in France made it worthwhile to wait for my trip.
Goyard Saint Louis GM
|Region||Saint Louis GM|
|VAT Refund (approx. 10%)||- €120|
|Cost after VAT||€1,080|
Goyard Saint Louis PM
|Region||Saint Louis PM|
|VAT Refund (approx. 10%)||- €104|
|Cost after VAT||€936|
I had never seen the beautiful brown exterior packaging. I was only familiar with the yellow dust bag and tissue that came with our Barney’s PM tote for my sister. Snapped a few pictures while packing for my departure from Paris.
In deciding the ideal size for my needs I asked myself :
- “when would I use this? “,
- “what type of places would I take it? “,
- “what would I need to be able to fit into my tote?”
My answers to my questions:
- I would use it mostly for travel, road trips, likely shorter domestic flights as there is no zip
- I could see myself taking it to FL, any beach vacation and somehow I envisioned warmer climates.
- As the tote alone would never be my only handbag for travel, I carefully considered all the sizes of the other bags the tote would need carry.
Let’s do some Handbag Math…
Goyard Saint Louis GM Price in US: $1,795
Goyard Saint Louis GM Price in Europe: €1,200
Total Price in US: $1,795 + $184 (tax 10.25%) = $1,979 total
Total Price in Europe: €1,200 – €120 (VAT refund 10%) = €1,080 = $1,170 total
What I saved: $1,979 – $1,170 = $809 (~41% savings)
I think my next visit to France I might pick up the Anjou Reversible Tote in the PM size as a casual daily bag. I really liked the leather lining, and it was a fantastic option, but considerably pricier for a bag to just carry another bag!